Saturday, May 19, 2007

Londons Times Cartoons By Rick London Gains Worldwide Popularity

My voyage into cartooning is a funny story (no pun intended). The seed was planted long ago. I believe the year was 1986. I was with some friends in Washington, D.C. who informed me I had been invited to a Gary Larson Far Side exhibit. I remember laughing at his cartoon; and eventually every morning when opening the newspaper going directly to it. I was hooked. I remember saying to myself "I could do that....if I could only draw." Sure, and the next thought was I could re-build the Taj Mahal if I could only build.

Years went by and my life took many twists and turns. I owned my own business in Washington, D.C. at age 39. It was successful. I worked in major media. I did a lot of things. I was very adventuresome. I moved to L.A. to learn screenwriting (didn't do very well, I must admit but at least I tried). The Northridge quake hit about the same time Mom called from Ms. to tell me she was very ill. I returned home at age 44.

It was humbling and educational. I learned to care for someone whom I loved very much, my mother. I learned to take a job that i felt was "beneath me"; I sold ads for a local tv station. I did a lot of things I didn't want to do.

Mom died in 1996. I moved to Hot Springs, Ar a town in which I knew nobody, but had had ancestors here who loved it. They were right.

By that time, I had learned that many cartoons are team efforts, that is, a writer and artist, or writers and artists, and I developed a team. I wrote, created concepts, they drew. We had a fun hobby that had started in 1997.

Artists came and went, but by 2005 Londons Times Cartoons www.londonstimes.us was
rated by Alexa as one of the top 100,000 sites on the Internet with over 6000 cartoons. We were receiving about 4000 hits per hour; we've had 7.5 million visitors
since January of 2005.

There is much more to the story. I will be blogging it soon. I hope to hear
from others, feel free to join and write in the blog and let's keep it going.

Thanks to everyone who made our work popular!

Sincerely,

Rick London
Londons Times Cartoons
www.londonstimes.us

No comments: